Thursday, January 20, 2011

Who else got screwed by the subway this morning?

So wow. Getting to work this morning was an epic saga, for more than a few of us. And how mad am I that a) I didn't bring my camera at home and b) my phone was dead so I couldn't even take crappy phone pics? So mad.

Irony: I got my butt out of the house at 8:30 am for once, thinking I'd actually get to work for 9am. Wow, did I pick the wrong day to be punctual. What I found on the mezzanine level of the Astoria Boulevard station was mild chaos, and it was obvious pretty quickly that the trains just weren't running at all. I heard talk of a shooting at Queensboro Plaza.

Well OK. I briefly considered trying to take the M60 over and the 6 train down, but peering down from the foot bridge at the stop and seeing at least five busloads of people waiting there, I figured that wouldn't work out too well. So off to the Broadway M/R stop I headed.

Well of course most of Queens was trying to use that line along with me. On the way there I'd actually thought to myself, how bad could it be? I've seen crowded platforms before. Friends, I have never seen anything like this! The entire platform was packed full, and the crowd flowed up the stairs and into the mezzanine level back to the turnstiles, so that it was difficult to even get through that far.

Since getting to the Manhattan bound platform was clearly not an option any time soon, I headed to the Queens bound platform to see what I could see. What I saw was a frighteningly crowded platform. An M train came, but before it even opened its doors it was packed to the gills. So naturally when it left again the platform was still full.

So I abandoned that ship. When I emerged from the station I saw a Q101 bus. Of course it was also packed full, with many people trying to get on. About 30 people were rejected right there. So I thought, OK, I'll be smart. I walked up to the stop at 31st street, where no one was waiting, figuring that was my best chance of actually getting on the bus and maybe even getting a seat. I thought I'd wait maybe 15 minutes.

...45 minutes later, still no bus. At which point a woman who'd come to the bus stop told us that the M / R station had cleared out. And can I tell you that not one minute after I left the bus stop, a Q101 rolled by?

At any rate, about 20 minutes after that I was finally on an M train headed into the city. My commute that normally takes 30 minutes (and that could be a 1 hour and 15 minute WALK) took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Ahh, the joys of the MTA...

What I've found about what the hell caused the clusterf*ck since getting to a computer is this - thanks Gothamist!

No comments: