Friday, July 23, 2010

Doomsday on the Broadway Local: Day 26

So I did head into the office this morning to witness the mayhem of last packings. And the morning commute was same old. But then an interesting thing happened.

After being at work for a little after an hour, they told us to go home. Brilliant! But whatevs, I'm not complaining.

So this gave me an interesting chance to ride around on the Broadway Local during the workday, for the first time really since the Big Change. I expected the trains to be nice and empty, as has been my previous experience with such. Not so. I was really surprised at how many people were on the trains. I'm not sure whether to attribute that to fewer trains, or all those new apartment buildings that have been built in Astoria, or what. And the trains certainly weren't crowded - half full at best. Just more crowded than they used to be.

I also noticed that throughout the afternoon, they were all N trains, and all old trains. Could have been a coincidence - I didn't hang out to see whether any new Qs would come by or anything. I went from Midtown back in to Astoria, then from there back into the city - downtown all the way to Prince. After some wanderings for food and new headphones (yay!) back on home we went in the late afternoon. And it felt like Saturday, but it was Friday, which is sort of like magic.

The weekend, it comes. The heat, it comes. The hiding, I do it...

No comments: