Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Doomsday on the Broadway Local: Day 2

Now this is what I'm talking about! Today was a total frickin mess. Not just for me, but for everyone as far as I can tell. One of the infamous "track fires" really jacked up the morning commute, taking the newly routed M train out of commission entirely in midtown. And, what's that? The Queens bound Q was stopped dead in its tracks at the 57th Street station? Curiouser and curiouser. What ever did go wrong, dear MTA?

Oddly, as of 10am nothing much was being mentioned on mta.info. Certainly nothing about cutting the Q route short - just a brief blip that there had been "delays" on the R line but that service had returned to normal, and the same for the E. Funny, that's not quite the story I got from my co-workers who had to walk half way across town to get to the office.

As for my own commute this morning, it was as cursed as yesterday's was charmed. A train rolled through as we were making it up the first set of stairs, and when we made it up to the platform we could see that there were zero trains hovering at the Ditmars station - leaving our wait time at absolute maximum.

When a train did come - and a Q train at that, so I know that they were running the full length at some point during the morning - it wasn't the worst I've seen it. Believe it or not there are times that the train is standing room only when it reaches Astoria Boulevard. But no, today it was the 30th Avenue crowd that got the screw (a pretty common ocurrance, and one of the main reasons we moved north), and it only got worse from there. By QBP it was an absolute crush. Frankly, you couldn't pay me enough to have a morning commute that involved getting on a yellow train at Queensboro every morning. Talk about not worth it.

Just like yesterday, though, this could have been a quirk of timing. I'm having a royally bad day, and I just might have gotten smashed into the one spot of trouble they had all day.

My evening commute was just about standard - standard crappy, that is. Crowded hot platform, and some weird announcement that really didn't make much sense about Q trains running local from 59th to 42nd? Well there's only one non "express" stop in that run, which is 49th. And it's not as if there's even a separate express track there; the trains just sometimes don't stop for the play-going crowd, and no one really gets why.

The Q train, when it came, was not quite shoulder to shoulder, but let's just say I don't actually choose to stand that close to anyone but my husband. Somewhere around 39th Ave, a woman standing near me did what I'd been thinking hard about doing, and asked a strapping young man to give up his seat for the VERY pregnant blond who'd been leaning on the doors near us. She was clearly embarrassed, but took the spot with great relief nonetheless. Seats started freeing up in earnest around the Broadway stop out in Astoria, much to my relief.

So, are we beginning to see the backlash of the doomsday cuts? I fear the answer is yes, but in truth I know that it is too soon to say...

No comments: