Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grudgingly, the G train.

I've been struggling with the G. Really, I'm in denial. Its original purpose was so bold, so inspired, so innovative: to have one single solitary train that would bring a rider from Brooklyn to Queens, and vice versa, without having to go through Manhattan.

Those of you who live in either of these boroughs know what I'm talking about. Say you live in Astoria or Long Island City or even Hunter's Point, and all you want to do is get to Greenpoint or Williamsburg. Without the G train, you have to make an hourlong trek through that all-important isle, to which all roads (or tracks) lead, to get to someplace that in reality you probably could have walked faster because they're actually right next to each other.

But the G, ah, the G! No Manhattan for its passengers, just Queens to Brooklyn, Brooklyn to Queens, back and forth all day long. With full service beginning in 1937, it is the only train now running to use the IND Crosstown Line. Unitl 1985 they called it the GG, and it stretched from the odd nook between Red Hook and Carrol Gardens all the way to Jamaica, Queens in a crazy outer borough zig-zag. Brilliant!

Until.

Troubles seemed to have started for our dear old G train in 1997, due to the terribly problematic 63rd street tunnel, through which only the F train runs. Apparently the G somehow got in the way of construction, and so service was cut back to Court Square on evenings, nights, and weekends. This stop is *technically* in Queens. It is in fact directly under that hideously shiny CitiBank tower that can clearly be seen from 53rd street in Midtown if looking across the East River. Of course, standing outside the Court Square station, you can practically throw a rock and hit Brooklyn. But nevermind that.

Then, in 2001, the V train happened. Because of overcrowding on the E and F trains (and no one can argue that the E train is not ridiculous), the V was introduced to help bring riders into and out of, uh, *Manhattan*. For some reason, the system in northeast Queens is made up of one huge channel. Once the V was introduced, too many trains were competing for use of the same tracks: the E, R, and G, and now the V. Guess which one got axed? (Hmm, could it be the one that wasn't going to Rome?)

Of course it was the one train that didn't serve the Almighty One, the Great Manahatta. G train service to the upper part of Queens then sort of inverted: it would run all the way out on evenings, nights, and weekends -i.e., when the V train does not run - and during prime time its terminus became Court Square.

Service was thus truncated, but it didn't stop there: in order to have G trains run more frequently, the trains themselves got shorter. Instead of running trains of normal length less frequently, the MTA felt it would be better to have trains half the length of the platform come more often. They took the "extra" cars to make "extra" trains for the line. (I can only guess that they were just that strapped that no full length extra trains were to be had?) The overall result of this being that unwary riders waiting too far along the platform could easily miss the train entirely. The first time I rode the G, I was totally bewildered when the end of the train whizzed by me and kept going another car length or so, but then did indeed stop and open its doors. I was so dumbfounded in fact that I almost didn't make it onto the train. They hold the doors open extra long for foolish newbies like me.

The south end of the G strikes one as totally arbitrary. It is in fact at the highest station in the system, towering 88 feet over neighborhoods and highways and offering a clear view of the old Kentile Floors sign - a sign which would mean entirely different things to me if I didn't work in asbestos personal injury litigation. Oh, how one's work can change one's perception of the world... Oddly, the tracks then almost immediately dive back underground, giving something of the feel of a rollerocaster. No one ever believes me when I tell them that New York City's physical geography is interesting. But I'll tangent more on that station in a lil bit.

Anyway. By this point you're probably asking yourself, has this girl ridden this damn train or what? And the answer is: yes. Twice. And yet never how I'd wanted, because I still haven't been able to catch it running all the way out to Jamaica. See, it used to. I know it did - I've caught it up at Steinway and Broadway, far past its current pseudo-north-terminus. But ever since I've been trying to catch it on its full route, it's been thwarting me. The MTA's official standing is that it will be ending at Court Square "until further notice". I've tried to be tricky and catch it on federal holidays, when trains often run on a "Saturday" or "Sunday" schedule and thus tend to do things they otherwise wouldn't, even on a Saturday or Sunday. But no, they're not even falling for that one anymore. My last such attempt was on July 3rd, but no such luck.

So I've just had to accept the fact that the G Train now runs from Smith and 9th to Court Square - regardless of what the official story of the MTA is and regardless of what the maps say. It's a short bit of a line, and my rides on it have been so fragmented that I have no choice but to give this ride to you in something of a photoessay.

But wait! Get this! As of July 5th and for the next several years (word on the street says four, but who knows with these MTA projects), the G will actually run five stops past Smith and 9th Street to Church Avenue, its original terminus from 1937! Are you excited? I know I am. Now let's make with the pictures, huh?

Ely 23rd Street connects with Court Street, the fake northern end of the G. They're distinctly different stations connected by a long corridor that gets quite crowded during rush hours - so crowded that it has a powerwalk! The powerwalk even works sometimes. For my first ride, which happened last, ahem, December, this is where I started out - I much prefer entering on 21st street and walking down some long hallways to trying to wander around the damn CitiBank building to find the entrance that's open.

The aforementioned powerwalk. There is not very much art on the G line, and what little there is is almost all in this station. Unfortunately, it looks like this.

See what I mean? It's more interesting that dirty white tile walls, certainly. And I much prefer it to the advertisements that positively paper the walls at, say, Union Square. Is there any surface they *won't* put ads on? Yup: tile mosaic.

Court Square. This is the true beginning, for so many people each day. After the mad rush through the corridor beneath CitiMonstrosity, they dash down to this desolate platform... all too often to see that the precious G, which doubtless has been sitting idle for the past 10 to 15 minutes, has just closed its doors and begun to pull out of the station. (If you're lucky, another one has pulled in, and at least you can wait sitting down. Ho hum.)

I love these sort of classic silhouettes that the old stations provide... Of course, all of the stations are old. Until they finally finish the T, that is.

I love this guy. (Doorway? What doorway? I'm not blocking any doorway...)

Who's that guy? And why's he always reading?

I adore this tilework - it's so entirely different than anything I've seen in any other station. But I can't remember which station it's in! That's it. I officially suck. Process of elimination tells me that it's Classon, Clinton-Washington, or Fulton. Ugh, why don't I have a photographic memory? (Har har har.)

If you've read very much by Jonathan Lethem, you've heard about Hoyt-Schermerhorn. (Please, please don't ask me to pronounce it.) You may have also seen it in movies and not known it. See, the station has four sets of tracks running through it, but only the two interior sets are in active use. The two on the outside are "abandoned", and therefore used by Hollywood! If, for instance, they need to have a subway train come into a station and then leave it, these side platforms are ideal. I hear tell that a long-since-closed department store had display windows that reached down into the station (a la the S-Mart at Astor Place), but I've never been able to spot them, and I fear that they've been covered over. This is also where you'd get out to go to the Transit Museum... but that's a post in and of itself, now isn't it?

Carroll Street. Very cute neighborhood at this stop. You should check it out sometime.

I love this green tiling, truly. It's sort of the earmark of this part of the line - many of the lines have a color theme present for long stretches, which makes sense. It wouldn't be practical or cost effective to try to use a different palette in each station, and it also gives people an easy identifier that they've gotten on the right train home...

Look at me! I've gone past Smith and 9th on the G train, because I'm in bizarro world... and will be for like four years or so. Go figure. Here we've got goldenrod yellow tile - we're not in Kansas anymore.

And I've arrived at Church Ave. Notice: they changed the map to show the new G terminus. This is like, for reals, peoples. I hope Park Slope is happy. (I don't mean that in the sarcastic way. I mean literally, I think they're pretty happy about it. I'd be pretty happy if a new train line started coming by my neighborhood.)

I'm a big dumb jerk and I don't have any pictures of what the streets around the Church Ave stop look like. Hopefully if and when my work load ever slows down, I will get back down there and post an addendum.

But for now, let's back up to the "real" terminus, because oh how I dig it so.

Now's the time that we gush about Smith and 9th, a superlative station in the NYC subway system - literally, in that it is the highest station. As in, really really high off of the ground, like woah. 88 feet doesn't sound that high, except that you're out in the open... and the platform doesn't feel exactly flat. Also, how rad is this tiling? It's under every lamp post along the platform. I love this kind of detail. And see? Still with the green.


I wouldn't want to have to wait up here on one of our terrible New York in February nights, when it's twenty degrees and the wind is raging through (wind chill negative two? Mmm hmm). But man, it's worth all those stairs and escalators just for the view.

The view at night is indeed spectacular, but the view during the day is nothing to shake a stick at either.
I love old signs like this - which has a certain twinge of irony to it seeing as I hate advertising to the point that I don't own a television. If this was for Sketchers I'd hate it. What can I say? I'm a bundle of contradictions.

And, you know, there's this. (Look hard. You'll see it.)

You really notice the height when ascending or descending. At Smith and 9th, if you actually want to get down, you must descend 18 stairs... before you reach the first of two super long steep scary escalators. Eyeah.

And what do you see when you get outside? Well, you're sort of under a highway underpass. There's a bodega, and a bus stop, and the Ikea shuttle for Red Hook stops there. So there's always a huge influx of college students and yuppies-in-training... much to the chagrin of the people who actually live in the neighborhood and just want to take the bus home. But hey, we can't call it progress unless we're ruining someone's neighborhood, right?

Well, alright darlings. That's my G train story. It's been a long time coming, I know. Ten months, actually, is how long it took me to actually get this post written. But the good news is that I've already ridden the J train! And then there's always the K to talk about. Oh, what, you didn't know there was a K train? You have so much to learn...

4 comments:

Sarah Riley said...

Yay! Love it. Film 1 of the 3 I had developed came back "underexposed" and I'm guessing its from our day on the J. Bought a projector on ebay this very day, and will have a definite verdict for you by two weeks time I'd say.

Tom said...

Man, so jazzed to drop back in here and see new posts! As I think I've mentioned, I've never been to New York, so all of this is like a visit without the expense.

Do you know how weird and fun and confusing it is to read about all these streets and neighborhoods and stations and have no frame of reference for them? It honestly makes me feel like I'd never make it out of my apartment if I ever lived there. I'm sure I'd figure it out little by little, but still...

I wish I could figure out how to "follow" or whatever so I wouldn't find these so late.

Love this project! Oh, and liked the Smith 9th Street sign and I did see the Statue of Liberty in that other photo, and old signs are cool, including the giant metal Pepsi one inside this building downtown, but it's missing the second "p" for some reason, so it says "Pe si" in four-foot-tall letters inside this building. You wanted to know that.

My word verification is "parlayis," which looks like a mashup of "paralysis" or "parlais," which is French for the verb "to speak."

Anonymous said...

What does eyeah mean?
I think my mother used that word- it is an idiomatic expression meaning wow, but I am not sure.

melissa bastian. said...

Ha, that's just me saying "yeah", kinda stretched out. Sorry, I do that kind of stuff.